IGCSE Mandarin Chinese:
Cambridge IGCSE Mandarin Chinese encourages learners to develop lifelong skills, including:
- the ability to use a foreign language as a means of practical communication
- insight into the culture and civilisation of countries where the language is spoken
- a positive attitude towards language learning, towards the speakers of other languages, and towards other cultures and civilisations
- techniques which can be applied to other areas of learning, such as analysis and memory skills
- a sound foundation for progression to employment or further study.
Click here to download syllabuses:Cambridge IGCSE Mandarin Chinese 0547 syllabus for 2020-2021
IGCSE Chinese as a Second Language:
Cambridge IGCSE Chinese as a Second Language offers learners the opportunity to develop practical communication skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing.
Learners will be presented with a variety of stimuli that will build up their skills in reading and writing. They will learn to select relevant details, understand the difference between what is directly stated and implied, and practise writing for different purposes and audiences. Learners will listen to a range of spoken material, including talks and conversations, in order to develop listening skills. In both written and spoken Chinese, learners will be able to respond to factual information as well as abstract ideas. Learners will engage in conversations on a variety of topics, and develop their skills in expressing their viewpoints with a degree of accuracy and clarity.
Cambridge IGCSE Chinese as a Second Language will enable learners to become independent users of Chinese and to use Chinese to communicate effectively in a variety of practical contexts.
The aims are to enable students to:
- develop the ability to use Chinese effectively for the purpose of practical communication
- form a sound foundation for the skills required for further study or employment using Chinese as the medium
- develop an awareness of the nature of language and language-learning skills
- promote learners’ personal development.
Click here to download syllabuses: Cambridge IGCSE Chinese as a Second Language 0523 syllabus for 2020, 2021 and 2022
IGCSE First Language Chinese syllabus:
Cambridge IGCSE First Language Chinese is designed for learners whose mother tongue is Chinese. The course allows learners to:
- develop the ability to communicate clearly, accurately and effectively when writing
- learn how to use a wide range of vocabulary and correct grammar, character formation and punctuation
- develop a personal style and an awareness of the audience being addressed.
Learners are also encouraged to read widely, including classical texts, both for their own enjoyment and to further their awareness of the ways in which Chinese can be used. Cambridge IGCSE First Language Chinese also develops more general analysis and communication skills such as synthesis, inference and the ability to order facts and present opinions effectively.
Cambridge IGCSE First Language qualifications are accepted by universities and employers as proof of knowledge and understanding of a language.
Click here to download syllabuses: Cambridge IGCSE First Language Chinese 0509 syllabus for 2020, 2021 and 2022.