Staff Focus:Ms. Joanne Beaumont-Bates, ECE Teacher

Written by:  Melissa Shaw – Primary Coordinator

I know that our ECE teachers are a special lot, but our newest member of staff, Ms. Joanne, is an extra special one. I just had to find out about these bagpipes!

Joanne, tell us about how you came to learn the bagpipes. Everyone has been absolutely fascinated and has loved listening to you play!

I was inspired to learn when I heard a local pipe band playing at a carnival. I had heard bagpipes before but only from a distance. On this occasion, I was standing really close and the sound just coursed through my veins and ignited something inside me. From that moment on I had a burning desire to learn them, and I’ve been hooked ever since. You might say bagpipes are now in my blood; they are an integral part of my identity and I can’t imagine my life without piping…it’s my happy place. It’s also fantastic stress relief too, because when I play pipes, everything else fades away as I get ‘in the zone’.

It has been wonderful to have you finally join our ECE team. What has been your favourite moment so far with your students?

Oh my gosh…so many wonderful and amazing moments every day. Let me think, well, I have only been in my class for a month; my first day was pretty special, finally getting to meet the children after what seems like forever. It’s been rewarding to observe how they’ve shifted from being ‘quiet and cautious’ to ‘comfortable and relaxed’ around me. Our youngest student now smiles at me on arrival each morning and this week, she said, “Good morning” in English to me, a first! So, for me, it’s been the little things, their first smile, reaching for my hand and hearing them use English.

What were you doing before coming to YCIS?

I was on a short-term contract at the University of Canterbury marking Bachelor of Teaching Degree – third year students’ papers, while I was waiting to come over to YCIS. Before that I was a ‘fulltime doctoral student’. In the early stages of my PhD, I was a Head teacher in Kindergarten; however, I was lucky enough to receive a full PhD scholarship not long after starting my thesis journey. This allowed me the flexibility to step back from leadership and focus on my research.

I am doing some groundbreaking research, or at least it will be when its published, on hearing student voices.  Until now, children’s voices have been marginalized in this space and e-portfolio research has tended to focus on parents’ and teachers’ perspectives, rather than children’s perspectives. Do I sound excited and passionate? You bet I am!

What is your philosophy in regard to early childhood education?

My full teaching philosophy is about two pages long, however, thefollowing whakataukī sums it up nicely:

Whaia te iti Kahurangi, Ki te tuohu koe, Me he maunga teite: ‘seek the treasure that you value most dearly, if you bow your head, let it be to a lofty mountain’.

This whakataukī (Māori proverb) reflectsthe aspirations I have for my students, as well as myself; insofar as, always striving to be the best we can be, to persevere and never give up trying.

If we went into your class, what would we see?

Happy and contented faces; engaged children and warm responsive teachers, but then I am totally biased.

What do you like to do in your spare time when not at school?

I play bagpipes of course…but when I’m not playing, I’m busy writing up my research. I also love hanging out with my son and exploring Shanghai…I’d like to imagine sometime soon we might get beyond Shanghai, but in the meantime we are content. I also like a good movie with popcorn, a glass of red wine and a good steak!

Other than playing bagpipes, do you have any other hidden talents?

Does riding a hover board while playing bagpipes count? Seriously though, I am a fairly good landscape artist and have sold numerous paintings in art galleries in New Zealand. Does that sound conceited, you did ask? Ironically, we moved to Nelson, New Zealand, 13 years ago to be nearer to the art scene and didn’t pick up a paint brush the entire time I lived there!  Life happens, as it does, but I sure am enjoying the journey so far.