- Create an attractive & balanced University List: Approved by your Parents/Counselors
(Be both Optimistic & Realistic)
- Know University Deadlines! (Submit application on time / Early Application / Rolling Admissions. Please read this article to understand your options.
Below, we review the 3 components to complete an application: Online Application / School Records / Entrance Exams. We also look at helpful links to understand university choice, scholarships, accreditation and more.
Application Items: (What’s Needed (Priority Order)
1). High School Transcript & Strength of Schedule – shows your academic progress, strengths of schedule and grades earned from Year 10 – 13. Your Transcript is crucial in showing your preparation for university work: both in grades & degree of difficulty in HL courses.
Are like any university throughout the world a #1 determining factor for admission. These will need to be submitted on time with help from your university counsellor.
Having a powerful & unique student voice is how you are noticed by the admissions committees who review thousands of applications each year. The essay is simply the most important application item you have control over after grades/test scores. While Grades/ Test Scores earn you realistic chances of admission – these items are what seals the deal.
– Please see the Application Items Essays and Personal Statements tab for valuable assistance in writing.
Choose your teachers carefully
1. Those who know you best / Positive Relationship
2. Who can speak of your best qualities
* They should add to your unique voice & promote you in the best way!
Remember: To best help those who write for you:
Craft a Winning Recommendation Invitation Letter & Overview of your YCIS High School Experience In:
My Profile & My Recommendation
5). College Entrance Tests: to level the playing field universities use the SAT/ACT to gauge a student’s skill level. Interchangeably these tests earn a score that will either open or close university options. Be mindful that if you have a strong Transcript and IB Predicted Grades but are not a strong test taker there are USA universities that are test optional schools. Scroll down for the full list. However, you should also be aware that some universities may require the SAT 1 & 2 with even up to 3 subject tests. Alternately, you may take the ACT that is offered on our campus. English proficiency tests are also required especially for any international student without an Australian, Canadian or British Passport. For details on each of these tests please go to the Application Items tabs to learn more and how to register.
1. Common Application
5. Individual University Websites – if you find a university is not a member school of Common App or the Coalition go to the University’s Application page.
Welcome to Common App Ready, your comprehensive Common Application training resource. These 3 links are designed to help students, parents, colleagues, or anyone else who would benefit from learning about the Common Application.
Note: Common Application is aligned with Naviance & you will need an account in both set up. Common Application has over 500 USA universities that are quite popular giving you a place to complete applications in a 1 stop location. We will be submitting all applications to the USA thru Naviance unless the university chooses their own method: (eg. University of California – system) For these universities you need to see their applications page to understand the requirements and ways to submit.
(Check under Applications Items to see the 10 that are needed and confirm this thru each university’s application website)
*Caution & Strongly Recommended: To save valuable time in applying wherever possible, choose Naviance and Common Application before choosing the Coalition.
Specifically it’s Important to be aware of the A-G University Requirements for any campus in the UC System: University of California Admission Requirements
Learn about the University of California campuses in these articles:
- Overview of the UC System
- The University of California – A Comparison of the University of California…
- SAT Score Comparison for the UC Schools
- ACT Score Comparison for the UC Schools
- Profiles: Berkeley | Davis | Irvine | Los Angeles | Merced | Riverside | San Diego | Santa Barbara | Santa Cruz
- GPA, SAT and ACT Graphs for UC Admissions: Berkeley | Davis | Irvine | Los Angeles | Merced | Riverside | San Diego | Santa Barbara | Santa Cruz
- Tips — UC Personal Statement Prompt #1
- Tips — UC Personal Statement Prompt #2
- UC Davis Admissions: SAT Scores, Financial Aid & More
- University of California SAT Scores – A Comparison of SAT Scores
- University of California ACT Scores – A Comparison of ACT Scores
University Search & Planning Links
|About.com||Sign Up for weekly updates about University Admissions|
|Acu Info||Specific Data & Accurate Information on College/University|
|Big Future Collegeboard||Powerful Search Engine, Planner, Financial Navigator & Career Explorer|
|College Week Live||Online College Virtual Tour|
|College Confidential||Prospective students speak about College Quality & Choice|
|College Prowler||College & Scholarship Search and more…|
|Education USA||Online Advising Center – Internationally Recognized|
|i-Student Global||Online Country Magazines featuring university profiles, scholarships and more|
A free database resource where you have the opportunity to directly interact with 500 CIS member universities and colleges worldwide. These are fully accredited universities and colleges in 26 countries that are actively seeking students with an international outlook. All participating universities/colleges sign a statement that they will use contact details only to send their own information/materials. Students from all Schools are eligible to participate.
To take advantage of this service:
1. Complete the Student Registration Form
|Scholarships 4 Students|
|USA Scholarship Guide|
|Free Application for Federal Student Aide (FAFSA)|
Other Useful Links: