IB Credit at Canadian Universities

Canadian universities are also 4 years in length and also award advanced standing credit which can reduce the time to complete the degree to three years. Let’s say this student wants to study at University of Toronto.
 Student wants to be an Engineer and has taken Maths, Physics and Chemistry and has predicted HL results of 6, 6, 7
◦Most US and Canadian universities have a similar first year curriculum for every area of engineering study. That allows students to change to another stream, if they have room, the student’s grades are sufficient etc. – TALK TO AN ADVISER if after being there you think you’d like to change majors.

Example 1: University of Toronto (Physics Major)

 Go to U Toronto, Future Student, Admissions, Requirements and Program Finder
 For Computer Engineering, click on and then Transfer Credit Information.
◦Must be admitted and your official results received (likely late August/early September).

 Scroll Down to IB and you will read that the College of Engineering will NOT allow any transfer credit so you must take the full 4 year curriculum.

 Go to U Toronto, Future Student, Admissions, Requirements and Program Finder
◦click on IB Curriculum and then Transfer Credit Information.
◦Must be admitted and your official results received. CHECK the deadline to submit
 This student wants to major in Physics in the College of Arts & Sciences
◦Physics is offered at both the Downtown/St George and Scarborough campuses
◦this student applied and accepted Faculty of Arts & Sciences at Downton/St George campus
◦CLICK on that name (NOT University of Toronto Scarborough)
 Grades of 5, 6, 7 in HL courses only are considered for credit
 Official grades from the testing agencies MUST be received by July 6, 2018 so you MUST order them sent when you register to take the exam so they are sent DIRECTLY, not after you receive your results.
 You MUST go to the Registrar’s Office to forfeit or give up your credits by May 31, 2019
◦Likely you have met with an adviser at Orientation or via the web before arriving to claim the credit AND register for the appropriate classes.
 NOTE the 5 areas in which credit can fall.
 If you have general credit say in Chemistry CHM1**Y, example to the right, those Unspecified credits may be used to meet prerequisite, program or breadth requirements as long as permission is obtained from the relevant Program Advisor or Registrar’s Office.
 According to the chart below that text,
 Credit forthe equivalent of CHM135H1 & CHM136H1.
 The Y designations means they meet Program Requirement and PrereqPurposes.
◦BUT note first column showing: CHM1**H CHM1**H
◦Means you MUST see an Adviser or the Registrar’s Office to understand how it is applied towards your degree in Physics AND have it awarded.
 Mathematics (All) receive NO credit
 Physics:  You have the equivalent of PHY151H1 & PHY152H1.
◦Similar to Chemistry so MUST meet with an Adviser or the Registrar’s Office to understand how it applies to your Physics program AND to have it awarded.
 Go back to search Academic Programs, search: Physics
 Click on Physics, Downtown/St George campus
 Scroll down to see the first year courses and you’ll see: PHY 151H1 and PHY 152H1, the courses listed as transfer credit for you
◦Further down they suggest: Additional first-year courses are required for most interdisciplinary physics programs, see Calendar description for details above
◦No direct use of Chemistry credit noted so meet with ADVISER to discusshow and if it can be used.
◦IF BiochemPhysics stream then credit for CHEM 135 and 136 awarded.
◦Adviser will help sort this out, likely at Orientation the week before classes start.
◦VERY important not to register for any class that you expect to get credit for or you lose that credit.
Example 2: University of Ottawa (International Development & Globalization major)
Student has Predicted IB grade of 37, 3 HL: Math 7, English 6, and Economics 6, 3 SL: Chinese 6, Chemistry 5, Psychology 5
 To view program requirements showing courses to take:
◦Open Programs and Courses and Undergrad: Understanding your Program of Study; scroll and see on right: List of Programs; Suggested Course Sequences; Social Sciences, Faculty of Social Sciences and International Development and Globalization
 Shows you take ECON 1104&1102; or ECON 1304&1302; HIS1111
 AND take many different electives.
Read through slides 4, 5 and 6 and NOTE: In Canada if you want a paid internship/co-op you must apply to that program at the time you APPLY. Likely you cannot use that office for contacts without being part of the program. CHECK!
 Meet with your ADVISER either online or at Orientation to discuss your options to use this credit that fits what you want to accomplish.
Then determine how you might want to use the credit so you take the correct sequence of courses, save certain credit to take in Study Abroad, courses needed before an internship, graduate in 3 years so 4thyear is a Master’s degree, etc. etc. etc!
 Follow directions so your credit is awarded towards your degree
 May your journey to start college begin!