Careers in Software Engineering
As a branch of computer science, Software Engineering includes the development and building of computer systems software and applications software. Systems software consists of programs that include computing utilities and operations systems and applications software includes user-focused programs, including database programs, Web browsers and more. Knowledge of programming languages, software development and computer operating systems are three major components of the field. Software engineering is a related, but slightly different occupational field than computer hardware engineering, which is concerned with the design and development of hardware and computing technologies (e.g. processor design, networking, etc.)
Software Engineering Requirements
1). Do the following:
- Give a brief history of the changes in digital technology over time. Discuss with your counselor how digital technology in your lifetime compares with that of your parent’s, grandparent’s, or other adult’s.
- Describe the kinds of computers or devices you imagine might be available when you are an adult.
2). Do the following:
- Explain to your counselor how text, sound, pictures, and videos are digitized for storage.
- Describe the difference between lossy and lossless data compression, and give an example where each might be used.
- Describe two digital devices and how they are made more useful by their programming.
- Discuss the similarities and differences between computers, mobile devices, and gaming consoles.
- Explain what a computer network is and describe the network’s purpose.
3). Do the following:
- Explain how a software application or “app” is created.
- Name four software programs or mobile apps you or your family use, and explain how each one helps you.
- Describe what malware is, and explain how to protect your digital devices and the information stored on them.Do the following:
- Describe how digital devices are connected to the Internet.
- Using an Internet search engine (with your parent’s permission), find ideas about how to conduct a program. Print out a copy of the ideas from at least three different websites. Share what you found with your counselor, and explain how you used the search engine to find this information.
- Use a Web browser to connect to an HTTPS (secure) website. Explain to your counselor how to tell whether the site’s security certificate can be trusted, and what it means to use this kind of connection.
4). Do TWO of the following. For each project you complete, copy to a backup device and share the finished project with your counselor.
- Using a presentation software program, develop a report about a topic approved by your counselor. For your presentation, create at least five slides, with each one incorporating text and some type of visual such as a photograph or an illustration.
- Using a digital device, take a picture & send or transfer this image to a device where the picture can be shared with your counselor.
- Make a digital recording of your voice, transfer the le to a different device, and have your counselor play back the recording.
5). Do the following:
- Explain to your counselor each of these protections and why they exist: copyright, patents, trademarks, trade secrets.
- Explain when it is permissible to accept a free copy of a program from a friend.
- Discuss with your counselor an article or a news report about a recent legal case involving an intellectual property dispute.
6). Do TWO of the following:
- Describe why it is important to properly dispose of digital technology. List at least three dangerous chemicals that could be used to create digital devices or used inside a digital
- Explain to your counselor what is required to become a certified recycler of digital technology hardware or devices.
- Do an Internet search for an organization that collects discarded digital technology hardware or devices for repurposing or recycling. Find out what happens to that waste. Share with your counselor what you found.
7). Investigate two career opportunities that involve digital technology. Choose one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this with your counselor, and explain why this profession might interest you.