Mr. Gartz wants to ensure that you are well aware of the university application items necessary to send. There are 3 categories of university materials that each applicant should consider:
1). School Records: This includes your Transcript Y10-13 from all High Schools attended, IB Predicted Grade Sheet, IGCSE Final Report, and Letters of Recommendation from teachers.
2). University Entrance Tests: You may be required to take a specific test to qualify such as the ACT or SAT (USA) or a professional test for admission into Medicine or Law (UK). Most students should plan to complete the TOEFL or IELTS regardless of country if they are not a citizen of USA, Canada or the UK.
3). Online Application: Each university will have an online application. Some popular online sites include:
1). UCAS: United Kingdom
3). OUAC: Ontario Universities in Canada
Beyond these popular portals other universities (such as Hong Kong, Australia, Singapore and others) will have their own admission websites to complete. The University Essay & Personal Statement are often a part of this application.
Here are some important differences of application items to know by country:
- United Kingdom IB is critical – Students should identify before they choose their IB Courses what UK University Admissions require by program. UK often asks for specific scores in specific HL/SL Subjects.
- University of California: you must satisfy specific criteria and take specific courses to meet admissions criteria.
- Hong Kong: IGCSE and IB report, an SAT/ACT could also be helpful
- Canada such as UBC may look specifically and only at your transcript grades and IB Predicted Scores
- South Korea: SAT is important and they are unique in asking to see Transcripts from Primary – Secondary School.
Application Items: The Essentials…
- High School Transcripts (From Year 10-13)
* In addition: If you are a transfer student to YCIS You will need official transcripts from every High School attended.
- SAT I & II /ACT Scores: Required for USA Universities
The SAT I (Reasoning Test) is offered at YCIS Gubei Campus 5x a year (See Application Items Tab for details).While the ACT is provided at our Century Park campus. Send these scores online & remember many prestigious USA universities may require 2 or even 3 SAT II Subject Tests.
- TOEFL / IELTS Scores Needed to demonstrate English ability (US, UK, Canadian often are exempt). See ( Application Items Tab for details). Tests are offered throughout the year at designated Test Centers. Send scores online a small fee applies.
- Essay or Personal Statement: You will most likely need to write an essay or Personal Statement for the university admissions committee. Usually this includes, your reasons for choosing them, what makes you stand out as a quality candidate, and how the university can assist you in reaching your academic goals. More than 1 Essay may be required per university check to see this on the Essay Resource Page of the Portal. Following Mr. Gartz’s guidelines will help you to write your very best!
- Recommendation Letters You may invite up to 2 teachers and 1 counsellor to write recommendations for you. It is necessary to invite each in person as well as completing an online request on Naviance. All teachers must also be provided your extensive and complete Naviance RESUME.
- Online Application: Each university has an admissions web page. Go there to find requirements and begin working on them on the application portal. For USA & UK universities look at (commonapp.org & www.ucas.ac.uk) to see which universities can be expedited through this process. Ontario Canada (OUAC) while many other universities may each have their separate admissions portal.
- Financial Bank Letter: Several USA Universities will ask for a financial letter signed by a Bank Manager showing your parents savings account of financial support to attend university for 1 year. (See Financial Bank Letter Application Items for details). This letter is either sent in applying to the university or after in the process of enrollment.
- Online Application Fees: Universities will require payment to review your application. – this is paid for usually within the online application by credit card or with a personal check by mail.
- Supplemental Documents Often universities have their own requirements to complete called supplements.
Refer to the University website application page early to find out All that’s necessary. Supplements may include: (Passport copy, Specific University Recommendations, Summary of High School Activities List, etc. It is a student’s responsibility to know each university’s application requirements & share them with the counselor.* For Students intent on studying Performing Arts (Music, Art, Drama) in University the portfolio is required. A CD or personal webpage are two ways to show your best work. (See Mr. Gartz for details)
- IB Predicted Grades Report: This item showcases your progress in your IB courses and is in most universities the most important criteria for admission. Work with Mr.. Gartz in Y13 to have this completed.